Servings: 4 servings Source: bonappetit.com
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup amaranth
- ¼ cup millet
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 large sweet-tart apple (such as Pink Lady), cut into ¼” pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus more
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon) and bee pollen (for serving)
- Bee pollen is available at health food stores, some grocery stores, and online.
Bring brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, wheat bran, salt, and 6 cups water to a boil in a medium pot. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cereal is the consistency of porridge (softer and thicker than the usual bowl of oatmeal) and water is absorbed, 40–50 minutes.
DO AHEAD: Porridge can be made 5 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.
Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Cook coconut flakes, stirring often, until toasted, 2 minutes; transfer to a plate.
Add apple, cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp. honey to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are browned in spots and tender, about 3 minutes.
Serve porridge topped with apples, coconut, sea salt, bee pollen, and a drizzle of honey, if you like.