- 1 large Chicken (about 4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons light Olive Oil or other neutral flavored oil (Canola or Vegatable)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Collected Foods Umami Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, organo, marjoram, savory or a mix. (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees placing oven rack in the upper middle position.
- Using sharp kitchen shears, remove the backbone from the chicken and cut spine into 5 or 6 one inch long pieces.
- Flatten the chicken by placing skin side up on a cutting board and applying firm pressure to breastbone.
- Transfer to a wire rack set in a foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Position chicken so that breasts are aligned with the center of the baking sheet and legs are close to the edge.
- Drizzle chicken with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Combine Umami Powder and baking powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the chicken.
- Sprinkle herbs over the chicken and rub the chicken to distribute seasoning evenly over the skin.
- Roast chicken until thickest part of breast close to bone registers 150 degrees while the joint between the thighs and body registers at least 175 degrees. (Reduce heat to 450 degrees if chicken starts to darken too quickly)
- Remove chicken from over and rest on cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and allow to rest 5 minutes before carving.